Reserve Lands Register
Please be advised that the TWN Land Registry will be
closed for holidays on August 1st, September 5th, and October 10th
TWN Lands Office
Tsleil-Waututh Lands Register
The Tsleil-Waututh Nation Land Code came into effect on June 6, 2007. This means that all registration and recording of interests or licenses (e.g. assignments of subleases, mortgages and mortgage discharges) on Tsleil-Waututh Reserve lands will now be carried out by the Tsleil-Waututh Lands Register.
1. CONTACT INFORMATION
All applications for registration or recording of interests or licenses should be sent to the address below. The TWN Lands Office is open from 8:30pm to 4:30pm Monday to Friday.
Tsleil-Waututh Nation Lands Office
Attn. Manager of Lands
3075 Takaya Drive
North Vancouver, BC V7H 3A8
Tel: (604) 929-3454
Fax: (604) 929-4714
2. TITLE SEARCHES & OBTAINING COPIES OF DOCUMENTS AND SURVEY PLANS
We are able to provide copies of Parcel Abstract Reports (Title Searches) and other registered documents and Strata Plans with payment of the appropriate fees (See our Fee Schedule in Section 3). Please contact:
Deanna B. George
Lands Registration & Data Management Clerk
Tel: (604) 924-4171
Fax: (604) 929-4714
PLEASE NOTE: WE HAVE A 3 BUSINESS DAY TURNAROUND TIME.
Fees apply for any registration or recording of interests and licenses on Tsleil-Waututh Nation Reserve lands. Fees are also payable to obtain copies of land title and survey records. Fees are required at the same time documents are submitted and documents will not be processed without the payment of correct fees.
- Schedule of TWN Land Register Fees, revised APRIL 01 2013 [pdf • 24kb]
- Please note GST is already INCLUDED in the fees at a rate of 5%.
- Fees are payable by cash, money order or cheque.
- Please make all cheques payable to the "Tsleil-Waututh Nation".
4. TWN REGISTRATION FORMS
TWN registration forms are required to be attached to all written instruments. These forms are mandatory as of July 1, 2007. BC Land Title Forms are no longer acceptable.
5. DOCUMENT SUBMISSION PROCESS
- Please submit one original document (lease, assignment, mortgage, etc.) with the correct TWN Registration Form and appropriate fees.
- Please note that you do not need to submit Parcel Abstract Reports, Insurance Papers or Affidavits.
- Please provide a contact email address for all transactions.
- Please ensure that the signature line for "Signature of Applicant, Applicant's Solicitor or Agent" is signed. Unsigned forms cannot be registered. We cannot act as your Agent.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that all forms are completed correctly. We are not responsible for any errors on submitted documents.
- Please include a "Certificate of Legal Advice" with all Assignment of Subleases.
- Once the document has been processed you will receive an email with a tracking number.
- Once the document has been registered in FNLRS, you will receive an email confirming the registration number along with an electronic copy of the registered document.
- THE TYPICAL TURNAROUND TIME FOR PROCESSING APPLICATIONS FOR REGISTRATION IS THREE BUSINESS DAYS.
6. ASSIGNMENT OF SUBLEASE: Certificate of Independent Legal Advice
Under the terms of existing Headleases, every Assignment of Sublease instrument must be accompanied by a "Certificate of Independent Legal Advice". For all registrations after June 6, 2007 all references to Her Majesty should be replaced with the Tsleil-Waututh Nation.
- Sample of a Certificate of Independent Legal Advice: [doc • 30kb]
7. HOMEOWNERS CORPORATIONS
Each market housing development on Tsleil-Waututh Reserve Lands is governed by a Homeowner's Corporation. To process a property transaction in one of these developments, the purchaser must obtain shares in the relevant Homeowner's Corporation. The means of obtaining a share certificate is up to the lawyer acting for the Homeowner's Corporation. You should contact the Homeowner's Corporation's lawyer and ask what they require. Generally it will be the following:
- Transfer and Assignment of Share Agreement;
- Original Share Certificate executed on the back to indicate transfer;
- Copy of Registered Assignment of Sublease; and
- A transaction fee.
We recommend being familiar with the terms of the Headlease for each development. It is the responsibility of the purchaser to ensure they are meeting all the provisions required in the Headlease.
8. FIRST NATION LAND REGISTER SYSTEM (FNLRS)
The Tsleil-Waututh Lands Register is a sub registry under the First Nation Land Register System (FNLRS) held in Ottawa. FNLRS is a database of instruments registered in the Indian Lands Registry relating to Reserve Lands under the First Nation Land Management Act. A general public version of the FNLRS website can be accessed by contacting INAC Helpdesk at:
Toll Free: 1-866-795-6465
9. THE TSLEIL-WAUTUTH NATION LAND CODE
The Tsleil-Waututh Nation Land Code came into effect on June 6, 2007. This means that all registration and recording of interests or licenses (e.g. assignments of subleases, mortgages and mortgage discharges) on Tsleil-Waututh Reserve lands will now be carried out by the Tsleil-Waututh Lands Office. All files are in PDF format and the Adobe Reader is required to view them. The Adobe Reader can be downloaded here.
- Tsleil-Waututh Nation Land Code [pdf • 159kb]
- Summary of the Tsleil-Waututh Nation Land Code [pdf• 22kb]